Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vindictus (Mabinogi: Heroes)  (Read 2342 times)

peaceofpi

• Internet Superhero
  • YOU GOT THE BERSERKER!
Vindictus (Mabinogi: Heroes)
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:02:51 AM »
Site: http://vindictus.nexon.net/
SS: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z60/coopermidnight/Vindictus/2010_10_20_0011.jpg

This is the game that currently has my heart. Unfortunately it's only open to North Americans. Well, that might be fortunate because its p2p system can be problematic. I'm already off to a good start!

I don't expect anyone jumping to play with me, but I will try to explain to the best of my ability anyway. Vindictus in a nutshell is pretty much this: GunZ PvE if it didn't suck (and you couldn't jump). The game runs on the Source engine, and it's beautiful. Outside of the town, it's 100% instance based. Dungeons usually consist of a few different halls/sections filled with regular mobs and sometimes minibosses, and the big bad guy is at the end.

NOTE: I've managed to think up more cons than pros, but most of them are pretty insignificant

Pros
* Soooource engine: Besides the fact that the game is pretty, characters react to things happening around them, and wear on equipment is visible (including "broken" armor).
* Involved combat: Unlike point-and-click MMOs, Vindictus requires you to move your character to avoid attacks and position yourself to use your own.
* Cash shop has not broken the game (yet): Giving money to Nexon does have its perks, but there's no noticeable imbalance.

Cons
* Repetitive: This is the main gripe about the game I get from people who either haven't played or played for about a day. It is indeed repetitive, but the relatively exciting combat makes up for it (for me at least)
* Nexon: I can't defend this one.
* Gender lock: In Vindictus you're playing a certain character in Mabinogi's history rather than a class, so each class has a specific gender. I don't care because the characters I want to play are female, and GunZ turned me into someone who plays female characters without thinking about it.
* Character count: Presently there are only 3 playable characters to choose from although a fourth is coming to the Korean version in December and a fifth has been in the planning stages. #1 is Lann, a dual sword/spear wielding damage dealer; #2 is Fiona, a sword/hammer and board defensive character; #3 is Evie, the mage who can use either a staff or OMG SCYTHE WTF.
* Token system: This one's hard to put into only so many words, but I'll try. Each "boat ride" to a dungeon, after the first area, costs two tokens. After a certain number of boat rides in a day, it increases to three, and then four after a certain higher amount. Cash shop tokens can get you in a boat for one at a time no matter what. Your tokens reset to 50 three times a week, so you have to be a little conservative with your playtime.
* No PvP: There is a CTF type game mode in the Korean version, but that's it.

If you feel like playing, I'm on the East server!

Amaz0n

• Curse Member
  • MOTHA FUCKIN BLUNTS
Re: Vindictus (Mabinogi: Heroes)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »
looks super fun bro

peaceofpi

• Internet Superhero
  • YOU GOT THE BERSERKER!
Re: Vindictus (Mabinogi: Heroes)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Every reply I can think of has to do with your tenure in a fun game